Below are guidelines for you and your family in preparation of your visit to Park Ten Surgical Hospital. Additional instructions, specific to you surgery will be provided by your physician.
The Night Before Surgery
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the evening before your surgery unless otherwise directed.
- Do not take any medication on the morning of surgery unless instructed to do so by our pre-op staff.
- Medications and anesthesia may be harmful to a fetus, especially in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. If there is the possibility of pregnancy, please contact your surgeon prior to undergoing surgery.
- Notify your surgeon of any changes in your health or if you have been exposed to any communicable diseases.
- Please do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- The pre-op nurses will contact you for a medical history and let you know what time to arrive at the center. Please bring a photo ID with you.
The Morning of Surgery
- Bathe the morning of surgery. If you wash your hair, make sure it is dry and do not use hairspray.
- Do not bring or wear rings, jewelry or other valuables.
- Do not wear makeup or lipstick.
- Wear loose fitting, casual clothing that can be easily removed.
- Bring a list of all prescriptions you are currently taking with you on the day of surgery.
- Bring a written list of known allergies.
- Remove fingernail and toenail polish.
- If the patient is a child, bring an extra set of clothes.
- We need a cell phone number for the person responsible for taking the patient home.
Prior to Surgery
- Patients must sign a surgical consent form before any medication can be given or surgery performed.
- Minors must have a parent or legal guardian sign a consent form before surgery can be performed.
- Patients should not leave the center unless they are under the care and supervision of a responsible adult. This may be a friend or relative who can drive the patient home.
- Smoking 24 hours before or after surgery may be detrimental to your recovery.
- Do not drive, sign important papers or make critical decisions for at least 24 hours.
- Do not operate machinery, power tools, etc. for at least 24 hours.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours.
- A representative of the center will contact you after surgery to inquire about your experience and well-being.
- Your surgeon will provide you with post-operative instructions regarding diet, rest and medication. In the event of any complications, contact your surgeon; if it is an emergency call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.